Other International Definitions
Resilience means the ability to “resile from” or “spring back from” a shock. The resilience of a community in respect to potential hazard events is determined by the degree to which the community has the necessary resources and is capable of organizing itself both prior to and during times of need.
(States of) Jersey
Note: Six dimensions of community resilience are identified: ecological, social, economic, institutional, infrastructure, and community competence.
- CBRN Resilience
- Cyber Resilience
- Economic Resilience
- Organisational Resilience
- 2009 UNISDR Terminology on Disaster Risk Reduction, United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (UNISDR), Geneva, Switzerland, May 2009.
- States of Jersey Emergency Measures Plan (2014)
- Cabinet Office, Glossary - Revision to Emergency Preparedness 2011
- NIST Special Publication 1190, Community Resilience Planning Guide for Buildings and Infrastructure Systems, Volume I, U.S. Department of Commerce, October 2015.
- Presidential Policy Directive -- Critical Infrastructure Security and Resilience, PPD-21, 2013.
- Magis, K. (2010). Community Resilience: An Indicator of Social Sustainability. Society & Natural Resources: An International Journal, 23(5), 401–416.
- Cutter, S. L., Barnes, L., Berry, M., Burton, C., Evans, E., Tate, E., & Webb, J. (2008). A place-based model for understanding community resilience to natural disasters. Global Environmental Change, 18(4), 598-606.
- Alderich, P. D., & Meyer, A. (2015). Social Capital and Community Resilience. American Behavioral Scientist, 59(2), 254-269.
- C. E. Colten, R. W. Kates, and S. B. Laska, “Three Years after Katrina: Lessons for Community Resilience,” Environment: Science and Policy for Sustainable Development 50, no. 5(2008): 36–47.
- Bruneau, M., Chang, S. E., Eguchi, R. T., Lee, G. C., O’Rourke, T. D., Reinhorn, A. M., … Von Winterfeldt, D. (2003). A Framework to Quantitatively Assess and Enhance the Seismic Resilience of Communities. Earthquake Spectra, 19(4), 733–752.