In nuclear, biological, and chemical (NBC) environments, the act of locating CBRN hazards or discovering or perceiving the presence of biological agents, diseases, etc. 
Detektion: Fachsprachlich für das Aufspüren, Feststellen. 
1. In tactical operations, the perception of an object of possible military interest but unconfirmed by recognition.
2. In surveillance, the determination and transmission by a surveillance system that an event has occurred.
3. In arms control, the first step in the process of ascertaining the occurrence of a violation of an arms control agreement.
4. In chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear environments, the act of locating chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear hazards by use of chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear detectors or monitoring and/or survey teams (source: JP 3-11). 
- ↑ European Commission's CBRN Glossary, 2012
- ↑ Glossar, Das Bundesamt für Bevölkerungsschutz und Katastrophenhilfe (BBK)
- ↑ Joint Publication 1-02: Department of Defense Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms (2016)